A gas leak in your home is a very serious problem and can definitely pose a health risk to you or anyone else in your home. Natural gas is odorless but your utility company will add a sulfur–like odorant to allow you to detect it with your sense of smell. There are a few steps that you can take if you smell gas to protect yourself, your family and your home.
- Leave your home and open doors and windows – The first step that you should take is to get outside and open as many doors and windows as you can on the way out.
- Call 911 and your utility – The next thing to do is call 911 and your gas utility. If it is safe, you can shut off the gas valve for your home at the supply line.
- Do not use any electrical switches – Don’t turn any lights or appliances on or off.
- Use a flashlight – Don’t use matches or a candle to go hunting for the gas leak.
Look for other signs – Don’t just rely on your sense of smell. If you see dying vegetation, bubbling water or if you hear hissing sounds around your home it could be a sign that you have a gas leak.